Samuel Barton, The University of Queensland
Applications close 11.59pm, Sunday 08 May 2022
AMSI Travel Grants provide partial funding support for mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students to participate in AMSI Flagship programs including AMSI Winter School 2022.
Applicants must be enrolled in an AMSI Member University at the time of the event.
There is a limited number of grants available. We expect to be able to only partially fund some participants (up to $500 ex GST per eligible recipient). You are expected to ask your supervisor and Head of School for support to attend the Winter School before approaching AMSI for assistance. When applying for assistance at your home university, please advise that this is a joint school hosted by AMSI and the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute and led by Professor Geordie Williamson.
Female and First Nations students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Before applying, read the Winter School Scholarship rules below.
Please note: Requests for grant funding will be collected as part of the general program application process. Students applying for a grant must include an additional statement from their supervisor, course coordinator OR Head of School supporting the request for financial assistance as part of their letter of support.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines before booking travel.
1. AMSI Travel Grants provide full or partial support for mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students enrolled at an AMSI Member institution to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer)
2. Applicants must be:
(a) Enrolled in a mathematical sciences or cognate discipline degree at an AMSI Institution
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments, however, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university.
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Participant travel from their home city to the program host city; and/or
(b) Accommodation in the host city for the duration of the program
Funding is awarded to a capped amount for each item requested.
Funding will not be granted for day-to-day expenses, for example groceries, clothes, toiletries, taxis, Ubers etc
4. Each applicant can receive at most one AMSI Travel Grant in any one-year period/12-month period
5. Applications may be submitted at any time before the Grant Application deadline and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
6. Applications should consist of the completed application form, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, Honours Coordinator or Head of Mathematical Sciences clearly stating that they support your program and grant application.
To complete your application the following information is required:
The letter of support from your supervisor, course coordinator OR Head of School should be a formal letter of recommendation vouching for your capabilities and suitability to attend this program, the benefit of you attending the school from an academic standpoint and supporting your request for financial assistance. It need only be brief (100-200 words) and submitted on university letterhead or contain your supervisor’s formal email signature.
7. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the overall benefit to the applicants. AMSI and/or the Event Director may seek additional advice as required.
8. In applying for an AMSI Travel Grant applicants agree:
(a) that their name, photo and/or biography can be published on the event website, and for other AMSI reports and promotional material
(b) to submit a short written report about the event within 30 days of completion of the program to be used in AMSI reports, websites, newsletters and other promotional material. A report template will be provided by AMSI
(c) to complete the post event feedback survey
9. Recipients must participate fully in the program that they have received funding for
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Travel Grant in writing as per the Grant Notification Letter. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and may be offered to other applicants.
10. The AMSI Travel Grant is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI Winter School Event Director.
Funding is awarded to a capped amount for each item requested as outlined in the Grant Notification Letter.
The attendee must submit tax invoices for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university provides an invoice to claim the reimbursement from The University of Queensland (the host university).
The invoice should include the following details:
Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines before booking their travel